Tuesday, December 30, 2008

HEATHER'S THEORY TESTED

Here is a picture of me and my assistant, Bernice, during one of our Saturday morning English classes. She is a huge help interpretting for me....sometimes the kids don't think I'm as funny as I do until Bernice says it in Chinese. I have 18 in that class and I'm expected to have more children join soon.

A few weeks ago I blogged about all the freebies I receive when I take Joseph with me shopping. Heather left a message asking if I needed Joseph to get the free items or if I could get them on my own. Well this evening I went to the bakery we love to visit alone. I chose the bread (french bread hot from the oven because Jameson requested meatball subs for dinner) and the owner proceeded to bag 8 dinner rolls (made from the same french bread dough) and long sweet danishes (hard to describe but very yummy). So as I walked home with a spring in my step, I thought of Heather and her doubtfulness that I can't get freebies on my own. So the the hypothesis is this. With or without Joseph with me, the bakery gives me extras and now I know it's not just because I let them see my blue-eyed boy.......Hey......I have blue eyes too......maybe that's the reason for the freebies.....now we need to test if Jim and his green eyes can get extras!!


We went to the orphanage again tonight. We enjoy our time there and the director always shares a little more of the ins and outs of the orphanage world with me. I'm learning a little each visit and the kids seem to enjoy the interaction with us. We play games with the children ages 11-15. One girl is there because she broke her hip at the University. She's 20 and can't walk and is becoming depressed. Emma met her tonight and Emma wants to go back to just visit with her. The girl speaks Chinese, Korean and English. I told Emma she could take her portable DVD player, games and cards and Emma liked that idea.....maybe this young woman can help Emma with language study and Emma can help her feel less lonely.....we'll see how that goes.


After getting an oven for Christmas, I am just now able to use it. When I tried to turn it on for the first time it wouldn't work. Jim and Sunny's brother took it back to the store and they fixed it. Tonight I made meatball subs.....and we loved them!! I also made potatoe soup, a favorite of ours. I enjoy cooking here because it's such a challenge. My oven is so small, but I'm so excited to cook with an oven again. I will find out how to buy flour soon and make brownies (the cocoa can't be found here, but I have a little) and cookies, quick breads, ect. My family also seems to really appreciate what I cook now because they don't have any other American food to compare it too......Even my well done meatballs were a hit!!!

2 comments:

LossFam said...

way to go, andra! i'm so proud of you! the competition is on. now it's jim's turn to see what he can bring home. by the way, are you sure the baker didn't say that the free treats were for all your cute kids at home?!? lol
love you guys! heather

Bonnie Jo said...

YEAH Andra! You and your family would LOVE our buffet meals...gobs of cheeses and STRANGE tastes to explore...and Bud says the aromas are also an adventure, but what do I know?? I am sitting here in the lobby of a museum; our newest hotel does not offer internet so I could not get on last night. We just sailed across the sea of Galilee and this museum houses a wooden boat that was discoverd and excavated and believed to be 2000 yrs old; which means MAYBE HE rode on this boat, but for certain HE sailed across the same lake and walked these same shores. I am absolutely in awe! While on the boat, one in our group read aloud from the Gospels about Him crossing the lake with his disciples. AMAZING!! This is a marvelous trip...Next trip, China, if HE allows!! LOVE YOU ALWAYS. Bonnie